As wonderful as your hot tub is for relaxing and relieving stress, you aren’t using it to its fullest potential if fitness isn’t part of your spa routine.
Exercising in your spa can make a huge difference in your overall fitness level. That’s because the heat of the water speeds your circulation, warming your muscles and giving you an increased range of motion.
That means you can move more easily and effectively than you would on land.
As an added bonus, the water protects your body from impact so, if you choose to jog or do other aerobic movements in your spa, you can do so without the risk of sore joints – thanks to hydrotherapy!
With all of that in mind, let’s take a look at five of the best spa-friendly exercises you can do in your spa that will help you get into better shape.
5 Spa-Friendly Exercises You Should Try
Jogging is a fantastic way to improve your health and fitness level while also burning a ton of calories. Water jogging is not only better for your joints thanks to the buoyancy of the water, the resistance it provides means you’ll burn three extra calories a minute compared to land jogging.
You can even up the intensity by incorporating intervals of varying speeds. By alternating between walking, jogging, and sprinting, you can burn even more calories because your heart must constantly adjust to the varying levels of exertion.
2. Torso Twists
This is an easy yet effective way to shape your waistline and tone your stomach muscles. You can sit or stand, based on your preference.
- Hold your arms out in front of you, bent at the elbow so your fingertips are only a few inches apart.
- Tighten your tummy and then twist left and right.
- Repeat for 30 repetitions on each side.
One of the best moves for toning the thighs and glutes, squats are a great strengthening move that will also elevate your heart rate.
- Plant your feet shoulder-width apart on the bottom of your hot tub, bend your knees and push your hips back as if you were going to sit down on a chair.
- Slowly stand up and repeat at least 10 times.
- Your hands can be placed at your waist or can be lifted up in front of you to shoulder height each time you squat.
4. Calf Extensions
This move is equal parts strengthening and stretching.
- Begin by standing with your feet flat on the floor of your spa.
- Place your hands at your waist and raise up onto your toes, lifting your heels off of the floor.
- Hold for three to five seconds before coming back down.
- Repeat at least 10 times.
- If you need help with balance, you can hold on to the edge of your hot tub.
5. Shoulder Rolls
This stretch is a great way to loosen up tight neck and shoulder muscles.
- Sit or stand in your swim spa and roll your shoulders forward and back 15 times.
- Then switch and roll your shoulders back to front.
- Aim for at least 10 repetitions in each direction.
These five exercises will not only add some activity to your hydrotherapy routine but will improve your fitness level while toning and strengthening your body.
Contact Arundel Pool and Spa Today
Need more tips on how to get the most out of your hot tub? Get in touch with us at Arundel Pools & Spa, a locally owned business that focuses on customer satisfaction.
As the top hot tub dealer in Edgewater, we provide only the best hot tubs and services to our clients.
Explore More Spa-Friendly Exercises With Our Help!
To learn more about spa-friendly exercises and what we have to offer, check out the hot tubs for sale, drop in for a visit at our showroom, or send us a message here.
For more information about hot tubs and swimming pools, take a look at our other blog posts: